My first baking post on my blog, this is quite daunting, but here we go!
When it comes to baking my favourite thing to do is bake for someone else. This weekend it was my sister’s best friend’s birthday so I decided to make her a little brownie surprise. If you’d like to know how I made these deliciously chocolatey, gooey treats then keep reading!
I make my own salted caramel but you can buy store-bought and just add some salt. If you are using store bought skip to ‘For the brownies’.
For the salted caramel
- 200g Granulated sugar
- 90g Butter (cut into pieces)
- 120ml Double cream
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- Put the sugar into a saucepan over a medium heat (I used number 4).
- Continuously stir the sugar with a wooden spoon.
- As the sugar heats up it will start forming clumps. Keep stirring.
- Eventually (it is quite tedious waiting) it will turn into a light brown liquid. Keep stirring.
- Turn the heat down (I used number 3).
- One bit at a time add the butter bit by bit while stirring. Be careful as it will bubble. I add bit by bit as I feel like it helps the butter combine with the sugar better.
- When you have added and mixed in all of the butter add the cream while continuously stirring. Again be careful as it will bubble.
- When all the ingredients are combined leave your caramel mixture to sit and bubble for a minute or two.
- Take your caramel off the heat, mix in the salt and set to the side to cool for later.
You can make your caramel a couple of days ahead of time. If you are doing this leave out the salt step as adding this to your pre-made caramel will help it loosen up.
For the brownies
Heat the oven to 180 degrees celsius
- 200g Butter
- 200g Milk chocolate
- 200g chocolate chips (optional)
- your caramel
- 200g Caster Sugar
- 4 Eggs
- 130g Plain flour
- 50g Cocoa powder
- Grease and line a tray bake in with baking paper and sprinkle with flour. I used a 20cm by 23cm tin.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over a medium heat (I used number 4).
- Break up all your chocolate (not the chips).
- When all the butter is melted turn off the heat and add the chocolate pieces. Mix until melted.
- Keep 170g of your caramel to the side.
- Add what you have left of the caramel (make sure it’s cool) into a large bowl with the sugar and the eggs. Beat until evenly combined.
- Beat in the butter and chocolate mixture (make sure it’s cool).
- In a different bowl sift flour, cocoa powder and salt and mix together.
- Add the dry ingredients to you wet one bit by bit. I add it in bits as I feel like the mixture combines better.
- Beat until smooth.
- With a wooden spoon mix in your chocolate chips if you are using them.
- Pour half of your brownie mixture into the tin.
- Spoon half of your remaining caramel over the top.
- Add the rest of your brownie mix on top of this. Spread it out.
- Top with the rest of your caramel.
- Bake for 30 minutes until it has formed a crust at the top. The middle should still be soft.
There you have it, delicious double chocolate salted caramel brownies.
Thank you for reading my first ever blog post, hope you enjoy!
2 thoughts on “Double chocolate, salted caramel brownies”